Things my shoes taught me

What does a pair of Piranhas look like after 1,000 miles? We’ll never know.

The boys logged mile 997 today and decided to call it quits. Here’s what they look like.

So what did I learn from the Great Piranha Experiment? Two things.

• You can go on forever if you’ve got the hankering.

• There’s no particular reason why you should.

So long, guys. It was fun …

today’s run (see it here)

• 3 miles — 41:26 (13:49-119) 1 p.m. 67  track
  • 13:16, 13:30, 14:39
  • Piranha-meter — 997 miles

This entry was posted in running and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Things my shoes taught me

1. Madiantin says:

They can’t do 3 miles more? Really? I think to honour them you should totally do 3 miles more. They deserve it.

Wow those are some worn out shoes. 🙂

2. Jenster! says:

I bet little toe is sad he lost his window 😦

Couldn’t you at least carry them for 3, afterall they carried you for 997!

R.I.P. Reek in Peace

4. sassafras says:

I’m hoping you’re talking about the shoes…”So long, guys. It was fun …”

5. SeniorRunner says:

They deserve a proper burial.
    Call in the HazMat team!

6. Frisbee Kitty says:

I can smell them from here! They had a good run!

7. zamgirl5 says:

So are you running tomorrow???

• Not looking good. I barely got in a 14:39 on my last mile today, and I feel worse now than when I began. Body seems to be shutting down for no particular reason. I guess I’ll go out and try tomorrow, but unless I have a miracle recovery overnight I don’t think there’s anyway I’m going to pull out 3 15-minute miles. If I don’t post tomorrow you’ll know Mo has killed me. Or maybe we go best 2 out of 3?

• zamgirl5 says:

So will Mo be throwing a funeral service for the poor piranhas? Or will she be throwing a celebratory party?

• Mo, who has been the biggest lobbyist against the Piranhas for months, is now campaigning for them. She called in a panic, fearing that I’d thrown them away. And is hellbent on getting them over 1,000. She may end up doing the last 3 in them herself.

8. three more miles! three more miles!

9. slow ernie says:

They’ve taught us something else. If you want to have a story to tell, you’ve got to get out there and do something. Nice show.

10. So…….what are you going to do with the tupperware box now?
    Barefooting tomorrow? Maybe you could give the adidas another try…? 😉

Sorry that you aren’t having good running. 😦 Is the body surrendering because it knows it’s shoes are dead?

• embarrassingly, i’ve got a million other shoes. i’ve got a pair of new hyperspeeds that i’ve got about 20 miles on, then a bunch of other hyperspeeds with a couple hundred miles each. Also may do a few runs in a pair of Banditos I liked that got shoved to the back of the closet for reasons I can’t remember. And a pair of Cumulus that would be fun to run in just to go maximalist for a while. I also ordered new model of Piranhas that were supposed to be here today but haven’t shown up yet. So no barefooting …

11. runshorts says:

What is that saying … as someone dies a new life is born? My own Piranhas made their triumphant debut on the track today.