Have you seen this video? If not, watch it and class will reconvene thereafter.
It’s a guy following Hall around on the day of a key marathon-pace run before Boston. But I was struck by the astonishing similarities between him and me.
• We are both gluten intolerant.
• We both have run in Flagstaff.
• He is staying there in Jack Daniels’ house. I own Jack Daniels’ book.
• We both are married to spouses WAY better looking than us.
• We both run exclusively in Asics.
• Both of us has a story to tell about Superstar and a green bean.
• He enjoys chocolate Cytomax. I loves me chocolate Frosty. Medium, please.
• We both believe in God and Piranhas (at least I think that’s what he’s lacing up before his run.)
• We both have finished in the top 40,000 of the New York Marathon.
Eerie, no? It’s like we’re separated at birth. Yet there’s that one difference. He’s running 5-minute miles while I’m clicking at 11:30. What could be his secret?
I watch the video over and over. Then there it is.
He says he prefers to run in cushioned shoes. Because they’re, well, cushioned.
THAT’S what I’ve been doing wrong. All these wasted years in flimsy ballerina slippers. Well, those days are over.
I dug around in the closet today and found a pair of Cumulus with about 8 miles on them.
But then I remember that you need to ease into maximalism. So maybe I’ll start with the Hyperspeed, then Hypo with socks, then Cumulus with no insoles, then the deluxe magic carpet special. If there’s extra room I might stuff in some foam rubber. And oatmeal. Yum, comfort you can eat.
Maximalism. I’m in. Because if Ryan Hall is doing it, I’m doing it.
Um, I wonder if Sara has plans for the weekend …