Sometimes happy endings are really just beginnings

If you are wise, you regularly read Run with Jill, the blog of Slow Ernie’s longtime spiritual adviser. I first came across her in the ’60s on the RW Loop site. She was a terrific runner, a nice person and a gifted writer.

She has since moved on to her Big-Deal Blog. I am a faithful reader but rarely comment there because unless you catch her posts minutes after they go up, you’re relegated to Response No. 3,522. No need for her to get the big head.

So what’s the point here? She was sidelined a while ago with a career-ending injury. If it were me there would be homeless guys all over Corpus parading around in racing flats, because I would have just given up. But Jill researched, experimented, suffered, researched some more, cried, laughed and kept going.

“No running” became “well, maybe some biking” and “OK, a jog/run” and “well, maybe up Pike’s Peak, but only one way.”

And just like that, she’s back in her second week of marathon training. And kicking some serious buttocks.

The internet is an odd place. You don’t really know anybody, yet you know them really well. Jill and I at the same time have gone through injuries, unemployment, frustration and maybe the early stages of menopause. Or maybe I’m just crabby by nature.

All I know is, her comeback makes me really, really happy.

Drop by her joint sometime when you need a little inspiration. You’ll be glad you did.

But don’t bother trying to leave a response …

Advertisements

This entry was posted in running and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Sometimes happy endings are really just beginnings

1. Lisa says:

Thanks for the update on Jilly…. I haven’t visited her site in awhile and need to mosey over that way…and you’re right about her comments/responses hehe 🙂

Great tribute to Jilly Beans! She is OSOM, she has been my coach for Chicago and now New York and a DARN GOOD ONE!! I had the honor of meeting her last winter in Denver. I love her blog and the fact she is on the road again!!

3. Jessica says:

Funny – the last page I looked at before I came here was her profile on the RW site – I was going through old blogs and saw a comment from her. That, of course, reminded me that I haven’t caught up here in a while, so here I am!

4. Jill says:

I’m almost certain I never laughed during that time. Except perhaps when I fell off my bike for the 428th time. I did consider taking up knitting in that hiatus from hell but I figured I’d get carpal tunnel and then I couldn’t walk or knit. Thanks for the shout-out, and thanks for believing in me….I go back to the comment you left me in April of ’10 with the quote from the good ol doc frequently (as in daily):

Was I ready, then, to have my heart weighed? Was this as far as I would go? Was I ready to rest, to obey the commandments and await my reward?
    The plane was bringing me back to earth. Without thinking, I took my pulse. A slow, steady 48, and only a day after a marathon. And I knew then, as every runner knows, my heart is capable of anything. All it asks is the time to do it.
    When I have run my best marathon and written my best piece and done my best deed of love for myself and my neighbor, I know the cry will still come from my heart: “There is more, there is more. I who have made you know.” What else is a heart for, then, but to be uneasy, to ask for what seems impossible, and never be satisfied? So my heart will be restless until it finds its final rest.
    Then they can weigh it.

Btw, there’s nothing wrong with being the last to comment…makes me smile to see you there. Unless, of course, I’m causing your heel to hurt!

• sassafras says:

the loop misses you . . . which is to say . .. I miss you.
      the loop is lacking of great writers and even better people … please stop by more often

5. Kate says:

Jill IS awesome. And her injury journey and refusal to quit have been inspirational for sure, even if she flat out refused to fall in love with her bike. 🙂

6. Jessica (Gumbo) says:

Who is that Jessica up there posing as Jessica!!

You’re a good friend. This is a sweet tribute to Jill. All the best to her. She deserves it!

7. C2Iowa says:

Garbo — One of – if not the – best posts about another that I have read. You nailed it – some people we may never meet, but we know them at some level – sometimes deep. Well done.