SoM Day 1

Well, I tried. But I couldn’t do it.

I attempted to download Hendrix’s Woodstock version of the national anthem so I could play it at the track before beginning the first run. But iTunes doesn’t believe I’m me, if indeed I am, so I was left to my own devices. Those devices being a slightly off-key hum that wouldn’t have been out of place in the early stages of a cat tussle. Yes, cats tussle.

And then, I was off.

A miserable day. 85, 74 dewpoint, 20 mph wind with gusts to 30. The kind of day kites and treadmills were made for. Whose idea WAS this, anyhow?

Still, a perfect evening for a run. The soccer boys were out, creating a diversion of testosterone and errant balls in the back stretch. I ran with the Big Hat, sunglasses and Chris Cornell, creating the sensory deprivation tank I loved so much at the Scottsdale track.

The miles were super easy and super slow. 13:23 average with a 131 hr.  (130 for me is high end of easy-run zone.) Four-minute run, one-minute walk. Trying to find something that’s sustainable forever. Summer of Muskrat, for me at least, is going to be about miles, not pace. Five miles today. Not bad for running in a hurricane.

Yikes. What if we really have a hurricane? Excuse me, I have to go add some fine print to the rules …

Toes before the start of Day 1. Note to self: Don’t go to the beach when there’s a 30 mph wind.

Advertisements

This entry was posted in running. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to SoM Day 1

1. Running Nole Fan says:

We had 93* when I started my run, but the Dew Point was only upper 50’s-low 60’s. Chris Cornell?? Very cool, sir!

Nightfall is when I start the SoM jourey. It is a cool 68, 9:30pm start time, no wind, life just doesn’t get any better than this.

3. Mr. Bacon says:

It was lovely out yesterday morning for my first 4. It’s getting light so early now that I didn’t even need the headlamp. If the next 99 days are 63 and breezy, I’ve got this in the bag.

4. Amy says:

Sixty-one degrees yesterday afternoon and 45 degrees this morning when I went out for my miles. I am feeling fortunate to be in the arid West for this challenge.

5. Jill says:

It was 55 and sunny for my 10 yesterday. Oh wait….

• You can be part of the Slow Ernie Summer of Bandito Muskrat movement!!!!

p.s. I tried to comment on your excellent post on pacing your pal but it wouldn’t let me. I just thought you did great. congrats!

• Jill says:

Blogger probably thinks you’re trying to steal my identity since it doesn’t recognize you. 😉

Thanks, though. Wasn’t my finest moment. Pretty much like the whole 2012 year.

6. corc-o-rama says:

Day 1 – overslept and off to good start. had to run during lunch then sat at my desk sweating for the rest of the day.
    Day 2 – overslept – leaving work early to get my run in.
    take no prisoners!

7. Madiantin says:

What did you do to your toes?