damn. that’s all.

Advertisements

This entry was posted in running and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to damn. that’s all.

1. Carlo says:

I remember our endless debates about whether Lance cheated. I think at one point we both wanted to believe, but in the end we knew he was too good to be true. I thought I would be happy when it all came crashing down for him, but it really has just left me empty, maybe I wanted him to prove me wrong.

I believed it could still be done dope free. I believed Lance did it dope free. From here on I will become the doubting Thomas I had always been. I will question every world record, every back to back to back to back winner and wonder, did he/she do it on their own. Oh Bruce Hornsby I hear ya singing, this is the end of the innocence.

3. Frisbee Kitty says:

I am not sure what to believe in the case of Lance Armstrong. I do believe that if Lance did compete cleanly, then he should work with USADA to improve the process to ensure that the innocent are not proven guilty and that the guilty are flushed out. Heck, if he didn’t then he should divulge how he avoided testing positive to make the system better.

What bothers me is the whole idea of stripping wins, medals, records, etc. These are sporting events that have already occurred. You cannot erase home runs and strikeouts. They happened. You can’t rewind and erase an Olympic gold medal ceremony. You can’t give the win to the person who finished second, because on the day the event was contested they did not win.

In the grand scheme of life, I suppose it isn’t all that important. It’s just sport. But boy, I sure wish the cheaters would just quit it. I am with TO…you just can’t admire athletic greatness anymore. There’s too much doubt.

• Running Nole Fan says:

Frisbee- you always bring some good comments. I agree with most of what you’ve said. However, I would like to bring up something for the sake of discussion.

Having defended people before, I understand exactly where Lance is coming from. A defendant (or person defending administrative type allegations) will eventually grow weary. It may be a financial reason or it may be a personal/emotional reason. But, regardless, they decide to quit fighting. It is too much of a hassle to continue to deal with. Especially when they really can’t take anything away (life, liberty, or anything else on that level) from you. Ultimately, it is a question of do you want to throw good money & energy after bad.

We’ll never know whether he actually did or didn’t cheat. But, there are plenty of valid reasons to give up the fight (no matter whether you’re guilty or not). More often than not, a defendant or respondent does not feel like their participation can improve the process. (And, it is my opinion that, it is a rare occasion where that is actually possible. Interests, reputation, and power of the governing body are at stake. Too often they have the resources and energy to continue the fight beyond that of the defendant.) I say this, again, not to defend anyone. Only to point out that there are reasons that people give up their fight.

• Frisbee Kitty says:

Thanks, Running Nole Fan. I completely understand Lance’s decision to give up the fight. This thing with USADA doesn’t seem physical evidence based and I am not sure how anyone could fight it even if they had the energy, means, and belief in the system.

• tosuperstar says:

One side bar, TO would spend every last dime to fight false allegations, regardless. Joe Paterno is also a person who has no chance to defend himself. Unfortunately in this day the media makes it nearly impossible for people to get a fair trial. We are often tried by the media, then sentenced by popular or not so poular opinion.

I still feel that Lance is guilty, when teammates begin to say we all did it we saw him do it I tend to follow the smoking gun.

4. gdionelli says:

And who do some of those wins go to? Jan Ullrich? Doper. Joseba Beloki? Possible doper. Raimondas Rumsas? Doper…

5. gdionelli says: