Be careful what you wish for

They really did have Oreos at every aid station. And I really did eat them all. Then I jumped in the car because I was supposed to be at my dad’s 81st birthday party (wrong turn, Dad, honest! Damn gps!)

Along the road on the way from Camp Eagle to San Angelo, I went into a jerky store to buy gas, went to a gas station to buy coffee, loitered at a McDonald’s to buy a burger and use their internet, haggled outside it with a Girl Scout over cookies *, and hit up another convenience store for a slushy and a flushy.  Only after a couple of hours on the road did I look in the mirror for the first time. A big old string of Oreo drool from my lower lip all the way down my chin.

Funny part is, I didn’t care in the least.

God, I love trail running. Even if I’m just pretending.

And a big thank you  to all the members of Team 459. Never underestimate the power of a baby, a trail monkey, a wooden penguin and an Oreo wearing pink knee pads …

* I told the Girl Scout cookie girl’s mom that I’d buy cookies on the way out. She just looked at me in that polite “I’m not staring” way. When I came out 10 minutes later, they had packed up and left. I may try this technique more often.

Advertisements

This entry was posted in running and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Be careful what you wish for

1. Madiantin says:

What a fabulous picture! Did you get a good deal on Samoas? =)

2. Justin says:

you look like a champion

3. Stephanie says:

I wish I knew the secret to getting the Girl Scouts to leave me alone.. instead as I walked out of Tractor Supply with 165 pounds of dog food they said “Excuse me ma’am, you have very pretty hair… will you please buy some cookies?” High pressure sales tactics…

4. crazybunny66 says:

Hi, please have a look, I have nominated you for an award.

• thanks, but those things make my head hurt. as if there are that many interesting things about me.

• crazybunny66 says:

I can understand if you don’t want to do it, it’s an awful lot of work 😉 but, ( there’s always a but with me) I’m sure there are even more interesting things about you and I would love to read them 🙂

5. Jill says:

That’s it, I’m plopping more oatmeal on my crotch when I go to the grocery store and scare away little GSs.